I’ve been practicing my Italian, with GC’s help. I found the following recipe for maltagliati al ragù di seppia online. I didn’t have time to prepare the pasta from scratch, so I used pappardelle that I had in the pantry. The sauce came out very well.
500 g squid, cleaned
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 small chopped onion
4 chopped anchovy fillets
3 sprigs thyme
50 ml white wine
400 g peeled tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Cut the squid into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and crushed garlic cloves over low heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the anchovies to the pan and allow them to breakdown over low heat. Add the thyme leaves and squid pieces and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the white wine and, when it is completely evaporated (about 10 minutes), add the peeled tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the tomatoes are completely broken down and the squid is tender.
- Add the parsley just before removing the ragù from the stove and toss with the pasta.