GC cooked a lovely fettuccine with lobster and fresh peas last night for Valentine’s. He adapted a recipe from Tom Colicchio’s book Think Like a Chef.
150 g fettuccine pasta
1/2 cup freshly shelled peas
2 small lobster tails, boiled and shelled
3/4 cup vegetable stock
1/4 tsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a pot of slated water to a boil over high heat. Cook the peas in the water until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, then rinse the peas under cold water. Set aside.
- Cut the lobster into large pieces.
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomato paste and reduce by about two-thirds. Whisk in the cream, then simmer the mixture until the sauce has reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper and keep the sauce warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring about ½-inch (1/4 to 1/2 cup) of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Whisk the butter into the simmering water a piece at a time. Add the lobster, season with salt and pepper, and warm the lobster over very low heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until just tender. Drain the pasta.
- Combine the pasta with the lobster, peas, lobster sauce, dill and chives. Mix gently, taste for salt and pepper, and serve.