GC showed me how to prepare this pasta. Authentic carbonara calls for pancetta, but we used a nice hardwood smoked salmon fillet.
150 g linguine pasta
1 whole egg, plus 1 egg yolk
75 g (approx.) smoked salmon fillet
50 g (approx.) freshly grated pecorino cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and pecorino together in a bowl and set aside.
- Drain the pasta well and combine with egg mixture.
- Add smoked salmon pieces, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss all to combine. The heat from the pasta will be sufficient to partly cook the egg, but still leave it moist and creamy.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional pecorino.