One of GC’s favorite breakfast foods is French Toast served with fresh fruit. We often make the following recipe using Rubicon Bakery’s Cinnamon Bread (available at Whole Foods).
3 to 4 slices (about ¾-inch thick) of Cinnamon Bread
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tbsp. granulated brown sugar
Fresh fruit (berries, bananas, etc.)
- Whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and almond extract until blended.
- Heat a large griddle over moderately high heat. I prefer to spray with a little olive oil instead of coating with butter.
- Soak bread slices in the egg mixture, coating each side evenly.
- Place bread slices on griddle, sprinkle with a little brown sugar, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with fresh fruit, toasted pecans, and warm maple syrup.